DescriptionSteketee's was a department store in Grand Rapids that opened in 1862. It was started by Paul Steketee and John H. Doornich. In 1872 a fire destroyed the business and Doornich sold his part of the business to Steketee. He recruited his family to help rebuild and run the store. They opened an 8 story store on Monroe Avenue in 1915. Over time Steketee opened more stores throughout Michigan. It became one of West Michigan's oldest retailers, closing its final store in 2003.