DescriptionThe Deseret Museum was an institution dedicated to spreading knowledge in Salt Lake City, Utah. It was originally opened as the "Salt Lake City Museum and Menagerie" by John Willard Young, with Guglielmo Giosue Rosetti Sangiovanni as the curator, in 1869. In 1878, ownership was transferred to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and Joseph L. Barfoot became curator until his death in 1882. In 1885, the Salt Lake Literary and Scientific Association acquired the property and renamed it the "Deseret Museum." In 1891 James E. Talmadge became curator and was assisted by J. Reuben Clark Jr. until 1903. When Talmage was called to the Quorum of the Twelve in 1911 his son, Sterling B. Talmage, became curator.
In 1919, the museum was taken over by the Temple Square Bureau of Information and ceased its existence as a separate institution. The collections not displayed at Temple Square were dispersed among institutions around the world.