DescriptionAlva B. Richmond was a partner of Perkins & Richmond, a store in Grand Rapids in operation from approximately 1890 to 1898. Richmond and his partner Thomas B. Perkins sold a variety of items, ranging from bicycles to typewriters to photography equipment. The store changed locations several times during the 1890s, with the final known location being 33 Monroe in 1998. His obituary appears in the May 4th, 1918 edition of the Grand Rapids Press and reads:
Alva B. Richmond Dead In Chicago
Well known as a pioneer among sporting goods dealers here...partner in firm Perkins and Richmond.
Died Sunday in Chicago
Born in Grand Rapids in 1854
Moved to California about 10 years ago where he has since resided.
Funeral services held at the home of his sister, Miss Clara Richmond, of 342 Woodmere Avenue, S.E., Saturday at 2:20. Besides his sister he is survived by a widow of La Jolla, California; one son, Alva, Jr., and two daughters, Mrs. Frank Burdick of La Jolla and Mrs. Marshall of Warren, Ohio.