Cabinet
Cabinet
Cabinet
Cabinet
Cabinet
Cabinet
Cabinet
Cabinet
Cabinet
Cabinet
Cabinet
Cabinet


Comments and Tags

Be the first to comment on this item!



Collection Tier:
Tier 2

Furniture ➔ Cabinet

Identifier:
1992.122.1
Description:
This cabinet was manufactured by Bodart Furniture Company in the late 1960s and was purchased by furniture craftsmen Frank J. Davidhazy who transformed it into a French Louis XVI-style cabinet featuring Japanese motifs. He completed the one-of-a-kind piece in 1971. 

This cabinet is hand-rubbed with black lacquer and has a rectangular top with beveled edges. The two doors are banded with English yew veneer and feature intricate escutcheons. Gilded 23-karat gold leaf can be seen on the feet, molding, and trim and a pull-out tirette sits above the doors. The red-lacquered interior of the cabinet has an adjustable shelf and the interior of the doors feature bamboo motifs in gold leaf. The exterior of the cabinet doors are expertly painted with gold and silver leaf to display a Japanese landscape. 

The original version of this cabinet is featured on page 24 of Bodart Furniture Company trade catalog, accession number 201079 from 1959. It is also featured on page 64 of Grand Rapids Furniture: The Story of America's Furniture City by Christian G. Carron, accession number 2020.1.33.
Date:
circa 1965
Materials:
Lacquer, 23-Gold Leaf, .999 Silver Leaf, Yew
Dimensions:
34" h 40.5" w 18" d
Current Location Status:
In Storage
Source:
Purchased with Funds from the Titche Family
Rights:

Exhibits/Programs
Furniture City (1994 – 2013)
Furniture City was one of the signature core exhibits installed at the Grand Rapids Public Museum's new Van Andel Museum Center when it opened in 1994.  At approximately 10,000 square feet, the exhibit occupied a significant portion of the museum's second floor and contained hundreds of pieces of Grand Rapids Furniture.  The exhibition was accompanied by the authoritative book on the subject, "Grand Rapids Furniture", by GRPM curator Christian Carron.  The Furniture City exhibit told a comprehensive story of the Furniture Industry in Grand Rapids, from its origins in the years after the Civil War, up to the present day with office and fixed seating manufacturers like Steelcase and American Seating.  The exhibition was significantly reduced in size in 2013 to make room for a new gallery, and was finally closed in 2019.

Furniture Highlights (October 1 2014)
Highlights from the Grand Rapids Public Museum's collection of over 2,000 pieces of furniture.
Makers/Donors
Bodart Furniture Company
Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Manufacturer of high-end antique reproduction upholstered and case pieces in Louis XV, Louis XVI, and Directoire styles.

Company History
1949: Moves from New York to Grand Rapids.
1973: Company is purchased by Colonial Furniture Co. of Zeeland, Michigan.
 


Frank J. Davidhazy
Frank J. Davidhazy was born on April 17th, 1901 in Hungary and emigrated to the United States in 1911. He originally worked in New York City but moved to Grand Rapids, Michigan in 1922 and began to create hand-decorated furniture for Robert W. Irwin Furniture Company. For 66 years, his furniture became legendary in Grand Rapids. His son, Frank C. Davidhazy also became a furniture craftsman and together the duo opened the Davidhazy Furniture Studio in 1956. He retired in 1988 and passed away on April 23rd, 1996.  
Related Place
Grand Rapids