'Johnson Pack Set', Rectangular, black plastic portable radio with metal and plastic handle, detachable microphone and detachable black leather carrying strap. The case is made of two parts, the top section has openings for a speaker, an antennea and microphone. There are three control knobs on top of case to control volume, channel and squelch. The handle is attached to the metal hinge that hold the bottom section to the top. Microphone attaches to case by a chrome hardware unit. Hand-held plastic microphone is attached to coiled wire. Not attached to the unit, but can be plugged in, is a separate cord with a plug at one end and a receptacle at the other.;ACCEPT RELEVANCE: This portable radio represents the first portable radio equipment used by the Fire Dept. It represents the changing technology of the electronics industry in this country, and the ways in which a local public service utilized this technology to assist them in protecting the citizens. OTHER COLLECTIONS: We have other equipment used by Fire fighters, including items that represent previous means of communication, such as trumpets and transponders. We have portable radios but they are the type used to listen to music, not for communication between people.KANDL01;USA, Michigan, Grand Rapids. Grand Rapids Fire Department. This is the first type of portable radio used by the Grand Rapids Fire Department.. KANDL01;USA, Michigan, Grand Rapids. Grand Rapids Fire Department. This is the first type of portable radio used by the Grand Rapids Fire Department..This is the first type of portable radio used by the Grand Rapids Fire Department..;1) Engraving on label reads; 'E.F. Johnson/242-0604/CAB13057/PSN2H57/167.9/ ....................' Printing on label is illegible.. Square metal label screwed to side of case. Label has both engraving and printing on it. |
Grand Rapids Fire Department The Grand Rapids Fire Department was founded in 1849 after the Wendell residence on Fulton Street and Lafayette Avenue burned down with nearly all its contents. Citizens approached the village council and demanded a fire brigade be established. That fall, Alert Fire Company Number 1 was established with twenty-eight members.
Since 1849, the Grand Rapids Fire Department has grown to include eleven stations with 221 members across the city.