This felt fedora has a shag finish and an overwelt edge on the brim. There is a thick hat band around the base of the crown and this hat has a center dent bash. The sweatband is made of leather and has two labels printed in gold on it. One is from Dunlap & Co. and the other is from Mackenzie, Bostock, Monroe of Grand Rapids. The interior silk lining also features a label from Dunlap & Co.. This hat was stored in a Stetson box and was worn by a member of the Voigt family of Grand Rapids, Michigan.
circa 1925 – 1950
Felt, Leather, Silk
5"" h 11.5"" w 13"" d; 7.25"" h 12.25"" w 14.75"" d
Current Location Status:
Gift Of Kent County Council For Historic Preservation
Kent County Council For Historic PreservationThe Kent County Council for Historic Preservation has several responsibilities that support the preservation and protection of our history. These include:
The Historic Preservation Commission consists of seven members who reside in Grand Rapids. Members are appointed by the City Commission for three-year terms (two consecutive terms are allowed). Members shall have a demonstrated interest in or knowledge of historic preservation. Two members shall be appointed from a list submitted by the Kent County Council for Historic Preservation and one member shall be an architect duly registered in the State of Michigan.
- Recommending designation of new historic districts
- Reviewing applications for proposed alterations within historic districts
- Enforcing the Historic Preservation Ordinance Chapter and cooperating with the state, federal and local governments in pursuance of its responsibilities
- Conducting meetings or hearings necessary to carry out these purposes
http://grcity.us/design-and-development-services/Planning-Department/Pages/Historic-Preservation-Commission.aspxVoigt HouseThe Voigt family, whose home is now preserved by the Grand Rapids Public Museum, moved to the city in 1875 and resided at 133 Court Street (now Scribner Street). The Voigt family partnered with the Herpolsheimer family in the dry-good and carpet business and in a few years the partnership expanded to include two flour mills -- the Crescent and Star mills located on the Grand River. In 1902 the partnership came to a mutual end. The Herpolsheimer family retained the dry-good store and the Voigt family kept the two mills. By the turn of the century, Voigt flour under several brand names, and later Voigt Cereal, were known across Michigan and far east as New England. Due to bankruptcy and a strike, the flour milling business came to an abrupt end in 1955. In 1895, Carl G.A. Voigt hired local architect William G. Robinson to design a house on 115 College Avenue Southeast to serve as his retirement home. It was modeled after the chateaux at Chenoceaux, France. The home is a fine example of Victorian architecture and complemented the Victorian family that lived in it. It was lived in by just the Voigt family which was comprised of Carl Gustav Adolf Voigt, his wife Elizabeth Wurster Voigt and their children. They were the parents of nine children with six surviving until adulthood. The family lived in the home from 1895 to 1971. Dunlap and CompanyDunlap & Company was a hat company located in New York City. It was opened by Robert Dunlap in 1857. Robert Dunlap was a previous employee of Knox Hats in New York but when he was refused for a raise, he left to open his own store. The two stores became rivals, with Dunlap & Co. becoming the popular choice, especially for derby hats. In the 1910s, however, both Knox and Dunlap businesses began to decline. In 1918 the two companies merged. Eventually, they were bought out by Byer-Rolnick which was then bought by The Hat Corporation of America. This company became D.J. Caps and was then bought out by Hat Brands, Inc., also known as HATCO. Mackenzie, Bostock, Monroe CompanyMackenzie, Bostock, Monroe Company was a retailer based on Monroe Ave in Grand Rapids. Early records show the company was in operation as early as 1912 and was registered in Grand Rapids until at least 1986. They were known for their quality clothing, neckties, menswear, hats, and furniture. The original President was C.W. Monroe, the Vice President was M.W. Mackenzie, and the Secretary and Treasurer was F. G. Bostak.