This gray felt fedora has a thick black hatband, a center dent bash, and an overwelt edge. The sweatband is made of leather and features two printed labels. One is for Dunlap & Co. which was the maker of the hat. The other is for Mackenzie, Bostock, Monroe which was the seller. The words "custom edge" can also be seen printed on the sweatband. There are also puncture holes in the sweatband that create the initials C S V which stand for Carl Simon Voigt who was the owner of this hat. The interior silk lining is also printed with a Dunlap label. This hat was stored in a Dunlap box.
circa 1930 – 1940
5"" h 12.25"" w 14"" d; 7"" h 11.75"" w 14"" d
Current Location Status:
Gift Of Kent County Council Of Historic Preservation
American Spirits: The Rise and Fall of Prohibition
(September 1 2015 – January 1 2016)Step back in time to an era of flappers and suffragists, bootleggers and temperance workers, and real-life legends like Al Capone and Carry Nation. Created by the National Constitution Center, American Spirits: The Rise and Fall of Prohibition is the first comprehensive exhibition about America’s most colorful and complex constitutional hiccup. Spanning from the dawn of the temperance movement, through the Roaring ’20s, to the unprecedented repeal of a constitutional amendment, this world-premiere exhibition brings the whole story of Prohibition vividly to life. American Spirits: The Rise and Fall of Prohibition is curated by Daniel Okrent, Pulitzer Prize finalist and author of Last Call: The Rise and Fall of Prohibition. GRPM's collection was featured in various venues across the United States and additional feature items were shown at the GRPM venue.
Kent County Council For Historic PreservationThe Kent County Council for Historic Preservation has several responsibilities that support the preservation and protection of our history. These include:
The Historic Preservation Commission consists of seven members who reside in Grand Rapids. Members are appointed by the City Commission for three-year terms (two consecutive terms are allowed). Members shall have a demonstrated interest in or knowledge of historic preservation. Two members shall be appointed from a list submitted by the Kent County Council for Historic Preservation and one member shall be an architect duly registered in the State of Michigan.
- Recommending designation of new historic districts
- Reviewing applications for proposed alterations within historic districts
- Enforcing the Historic Preservation Ordinance Chapter and cooperating with the state, federal and local governments in pursuance of its responsibilities
- Conducting meetings or hearings necessary to carry out these purposes
http://grcity.us/design-and-development-services/Planning-Department/Pages/Historic-Preservation-Commission.aspxVoigt HouseThe Voigt family, whose home is now preserved by the Grand Rapids Public Museum, moved to the city in 1875 and resided at 133 Court Street (now Scribner Street). The Voigt family partnered with the Herpolsheimer family in the dry-good and carpet business and in a few years the partnership expanded to include two flour mills -- the Crescent and Star mills located on the Grand River. In 1902 the partnership came to a mutual end. The Herpolsheimer family retained the dry-good store and the Voigt family kept the two mills. By the turn of the century, Voigt flour under several brand names, and later Voigt Cereal, were known across Michigan and far east as New England. Due to bankruptcy and a strike, the flour milling business came to an abrupt end in 1955. In 1895, Carl G.A. Voigt hired local architect William G. Robinson to design a house on 115 College Avenue Southeast to serve as his retirement home. It was modeled after the chateaux at Chenoceaux, France. The home is a fine example of Victorian architecture and complemented the Victorian family that lived in it. It was lived in by just the Voigt family which was comprised of Carl Gustav Adolf Voigt, his wife Elizabeth Wurster Voigt and their children. They were the parents of nine children with six surviving until adulthood. The family lived in the home from 1895 to 1971. Carl Simon VoigtCarl Simon Voigt was born in 1874 to Charles G.A. and Elizabeth Voigt. He attended Grand Rapids Public Schools and graduated from Central High School. Carl was active in his father's milling business and generally in the Grand Rapids business community for many years along with his younger brother, Ralph. He was an executive officer of the milling company in the 1890s, organized Voigt Cereal Food Co. in 1901 and terminated the business in 1909 to return to Voigt Milling Co., where he later became secretary and vice president. He and his brothers Frank and Ralph belonged to several prominent Grand Rapids service and social organizations. He was a member of St. Mark's Episcopal Cathedral, Doric Lodge No. 342, F. & Am., De-Witt Clinton Consistory, DeMolai commander of Knights Templar, Saladin Shrine Temple, Grand Rapids Lion Club and the Michigan Millers Association. He was also a life member of Elks Lodge No. 48 and one of its oldest living members. As a member of the Association of Commerce, later the Chamber of Commerce, Carl went on several association sponsored Lake Michigan cruises in the late 1930s and early 40s. His father, Charles G. A. Voigt, had been director of the Board of Trade, the early attempt at organizing Grand Rapids business and parent group of the Association of Commerce. Carl died in 1958 at 84 years of age and is buried in Oak Hill Celebtary in Grand Rapids. From the early 1880s until 1971 nine Voigt family members were entered in Oak Hill Cemetary. Dunlap and CompanyDunlap & Company was a hat company located in New York City. It was opened by Robert Dunlap in 1857. Robert Dunlap was a previous employee of Knox Hats in New York but when he was refused for a raise, he left to open his own store. The two stores became rivals, with Dunlap & Co. becoming the popular choice, especially for derby hats. In the 1910s, however, both Knox and Dunlap businesses began to decline. In 1918 the two companies merged. Eventually, they were bought out by Byer-Rolnick which was then bought by The Hat Corporation of America. This company became D.J. Caps and was then bought out by Hat Brands, Inc., also known as HATCO. Mackenzie, Bostock, Monroe CompanyMackenzie, Bostock, Monroe Company was a retailer based on Monroe Ave in Grand Rapids. Early records show the company was in operation as early as 1912 and was registered in Grand Rapids until at least 1986. They were known for their quality clothing, neckties, menswear, hats, and furniture. The original President was C.W. Monroe, the Vice President was M.W. Mackenzie, and the Secretary and Treasurer was F. G. Bostak.