Ornamental axes.;Most likely for wood carving or ceremonial use. Identified by Raymond Silverman, Professor of History, Department of the History of Art, University of Michigan--Ann Arbor; tel: 734.615.9847. Accession file 4747 notes: "Nearly everyone of the natives carries one of these axes. They are not used for chopping trees, but for an ornament and probably protection.";The objects were originally obtained by Dr. and Mrs. H. Veazie Markham, medical missionaries of that church. The couple were appointed for life service to West Central Portuguese Africa (modern Angola) by the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions, and they served there from 1927-1939. The objects were originally collected about 1930, and were exhibited at the East Congregational Church before being donated in 1948. However, dates of individual objects may vary widely.