Black rotary telephone with internal phone lines numbered 1 through 8. It contains electrical wires and was used as an internal intercom.;When Pine Rest was founded in 1910, Cutlerville was only a small rural community, and did not have many of the modern conveniences enjoyed in nearby Grand Rapids. In addition to this geographic, the sensitive nature of the work done at Pine Rest with mentally ill patients isolated the facility socially as well. In order to fill this vacuum, numerous venues for good and services sprang up within Pine Rest, both official and unofficial to cater to the needs of both staff and patients. Many of the artifacts in this collection were chosen to highlight the insular nature of the Pine Rest community that developed over much of the twentieth century.
At first Pine Rest was not connected to the outside world through the telephone system. However, they did develop an extensive internal communication system which allowed communication between buildings and across the expansive grounds.;Bottom post-it reads: Bldg I Intercom. Dial reads extensions: 1-Office, 2- Daycare, 3 - Kitchen, 4 - Daycare?, 5 - Office.;The items in this accession were donated to the Grand Rapids Public Museum following Pine Rest's 100th Anniversary. The staff and volunteers at Pine Rest gathered together hundreds of artifacts, documents, and photographs from their century-long history for the anniversary celebration in 2010. Following those events, Museum staff visited Pine Rest several times, and in consultation with the Pine Rest staff and volunteers, collected over a hundred items that will help tell their stories. The collected artifacts are cataloged individually in this database, while the photographs, documents, and other printed material are described in the finding aid for the Grand Rapids Public Museum's Archival Collection #229.
Pine Rest Christian Mental Health Pine Rest Christian Mental Health Services is a psychiatric hospital and behavioral health provider, with the main treatment campus located in Gaines Township, Michigan. It was founded in 1910 as the Christian Psychopathic Hospital. Pine Rest is one of the five largest free-standing behavioral health providers in the U.S., offering a full continuum of services including addiction treatment and recovery, extensive child and adolescent programs, senior care services, and Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT). In addition to the main campus in Grand Rapids, Pine Rest also has 20 outpatient locations throughout West Michigan and two in Iowa.