This cane is made of wood and has a knob handle as well as a metal ferrule which is not original. There is a snake winding around the shaft and an octagonal portion near the handle has names engraved into it. One side of the cane reads "From the Battlefield" and the other reads "Of Stone River". This cane was carved by Byron D. Wisner, grandfather of the donor, while he was recovering from a wound received during a battle at Thompson's Station, Tennessee on March 5th, 1863. It was then given to his son Frederick Charles Wisner who later passed it on to the donor, Carl Frederick Wisner.