This Union deck features patriotic images instead of the norm. The 4 suites are Eagles, Shields, Stars, and Flags. Court cards include Colonels as Kings, Goddesses of Liberty as Queens, and Majors as Jacks. The backs are blue/white and feature 4 US flags, a shield and anchor.;Saw production starting in 1862 to raise morale and give soldiers a way to spend their nights in camp during the war as drinking and other morally questionable acts were not allowed.
Printed, Paper, Ink
3.5" h 2.5" w
Current Location Status:
In Storage;On Exhibit
Gift Of General John H. Schouten
U is for USA
()Thank God for Michigan: Stories from the Civil War
(June 6 2011 – March 29 2015)Thank God for Michigan was an exhibition developed by the GRPM to commemorate the sesquicentennial of the Civil War. The exhibit featured over 150 artifacts from the GRPM's collection and told the story of the Civil War through the lens of soldiers and civilians from Michigan.TOYS!
(2018 – 2020)This GRPM original exhibit featured toys and games from the museum’s collections in meticulously crafted displays representing childhood in different eras. This interactive, multi-generational exhibition of toys and games is sure to rekindle childhood memories and spark the creation of new ones. Investigate: Civil War Artifacts
(September 10 2017)During the Investigate program, students will take the role of Museum curators and use close observation and critical thinking to discover the origin, meaning, and importance of real objects from the Museum’s Collection. Students will learn how to handle and study primary sources and will be pushed to consider how singular objects or groups of objects can tell meaningful stories about our place.
- Students will be able to analyze primary sources (artifacts and photographs) and make inferences about the story or significance of the sources.
- Students will be able to explain the broad causes and players in the Civil War, including Michigan’s role.
- Students will be able to describe what life was like for a Civil War soldier.
Virtual Scavenger Hunt
- NGSS Science and Engineering Practices: Constructing Explanations; Engaging in Argument from Evidence
- ELA Common Core Standards by Domain: Research to Build and Present Knowledge
- Michigan K-12 Social Studies Standards: H1 The World in Temporal Terms: Historical Habits of Mind, H3 The History of Michigan and the Great Lakes Region, H4 The History of the United States, U5 Civil War and Reconstruction, P1 Reading and Communication, P2 Inquiry Research and Analysis
(April 2020)Use this scavenger hunt to learn how to navigate the GRPM Digital Collections and explore some of its unique objects!
American GreetingsAmerican Greetings Corporation is a privately owned American company and is the world's second-largest greeting card producer. Based in Westlake, Ohio, a suburb of Cleveland, the company sells paper greeting cards, electronic greeting cards, party products, and electronic expressive content. The company owns the Carlton Cards, Tender Thoughts, Just For You, and Gibson brands.Schouten, General John H.American GreetingsAmerican Greetings Corporation is a privately owned American company and is the world's second-largest greeting card producer. Based in Westlake, Ohio, a suburb of Cleveland, the company sells paper greeting cards, electronic greeting cards, party products, and electronic expressive content. The company owns the Carlton Cards, Tender Thoughts, Just For You, and Gibson brands.Schouten, General John H.