Comments and Tags

Be the first to comment on this item!



Collection Tier:
Tier 2

Product Packaging ➔ Candy Container, Filled Raspberries

Identifier:
2011.21.3
Description:
One cylindrical metal Schust's Candies tin. "Raspberries (Filled)" is written on a removable label stuck onto both sides. The tin depicts, on the front and back, two blond men leading and two brunette men following in red uniforms carrying a large item that says "Schust's Candies". The larger label is written in red with a yellow background.;This group of candy containers is an excellent addition to the Museum's collections. The donor was intimately familiar with the candy business, and built his collection to reflect important changes in merchandising and packaging over time. This collection spans much of the twentieth century, and contains examples of Brach's candy (by whom the donor was employed) and many other manufacturers from the Midwest. Taken together the collection shows how the candy business evolved from early forms of unwrapped bulk candy sold in cardboard cheese tubs, to metal pails, to the wide variety of boxes, tins, and containers available today.;"Schust's Candies", "Rasberries (Filled)", "The Schust Company ~All Over Michigan~", "The Heekin Can Co. CIN. OH 3937".;This candy container is part of a large collection assembled by the donor over the course of his career as a distributor for the Brach Candy Company, and later in life as a retiree. The donor acquired the containers from a variety of places, including his regular customers, at flea markers, antique shops, and from fellow collectors. The group of containers donated to the museum in 2011 is a small subset of the collection, which consists of several hundred containers.;Brach's Confections, Inc., founded as E. J. Brach and Sons, is one of America's leading manufacturers of confections and fruit snacks, with principal offices in Dallas, Texas and Chattanooga, Tennessee. In 1904 Emil, his wife and two sons, Edwin and Frank, opened a small store at the corner of North Avenue and Towne Street in Chicago, IL, called the "Brach's Palace of Sweets." The "factory" was in the rear, and the selling area was in the front of the store. They built the business making and selling great-tasting, high-quality candies at a fair price. Today, over 100 years after Emil J. Brach opened his "Palace of Sweets" in Chicago, BRACH'S Confections continues to be one of America's leading candy companies. Brach's is the leading manufacturer of fresh loose candy in the U.S. Brach's is one of the leading manufacturers of staple (everyday) candy and seasonal (Halloween, Christmas, Valentine's, and Easter) candy.
Date:
circa 1930
Materials:
Tin
Dimensions:
14" h 1" w
Current Location Status:
In Storage
Source:
Gift Of Steve Camp
Rights:
Links:
http://www.farleysandsathers.com/About/WhoWeAre.asp?BrandID=9
Exhibit/Program
Be Curious (October 1 2013 – March 1 2015)
Rotating display of recently accessioned artifacts.
Makers/Donors
Schusts Candies

Camp, Steve

Lindley, Kristen