Comments and Tags

Be the first to comment on this item!



Collection Tier:
Tier 2

Photographs ➔ Photograph, Lawn Seating At Ramona Park

Identifier:
2013.1.109
Description:
This is a black and white copy print of the lawn overlooking Reeds Lake at Ramona Park in East Grand Rapids, Michigan. On the right side of the photograph, the Lakeside Clubhouse can be seen. There are empty wooden folding chairs positioned all across the lawn. A tall raised gazebo structure sits in the center of the picture. There is a small horse grazing among the chairs near the gazebo. The side of one of the structures has writing on it that is blocked by the trees.

Ramona Park was an amusement park located on Reeds Lake in East Grand Rapids, MI from 1897-1955. Thousands of families visited each year until the 1950s, when cars became more available, and people began vacationing elsewhere. It was owned and operated by the Grand Rapids Street Railway Company and featured attractions such as the Jack Rabbit Derby Racer roller coaster, merry-go-round, fun house, mystic chutes, Ferris wheel, bumper cars, aeroswings and a miniature locomotive. The park also included the Ramona Theatre Pavilion and the Ramona Gardens Dancing Pavilion, each which hosted popular plays, musicals, big bands, Vaudevillian and burlesque acts, silent films, talkies, and favorite local and national entertainers. East Grand Rapids, Michigan was settled on the shores of Reeds Lake in 1834 by the pioneer Ezra Reed. By the 1870s, Reeds Lake had become a popular leisure destination for many people in the Grand Rapids area, and became the location of Ramona Park in the 1890s.
Date:
circa 1900
Materials:
Paper
Dimensions:
5" h 8" w
Current Location Status:
In Storage
Source:
Museum Collection
Maker/Donor
Ramona Park
Ramona Park was an amusement park located on the western shore of Reeds Lake in East Grand Rapids, Michigan from 1903-1954. Thousands of families visited each year until the 1950s, when gasoline for cars became more available, and people began vacationing elsewhere. The park was owned and operated originally by the Grand Rapids Street Railway Company, and also after it became the Grand Rapids Motor Coach Company. It featured attractions such as the Jack Rabbit Derby Racer roller coaster, merry-go-round, fun house, mystic chutes, Ferris wheel, bumper cars, rocket swings and a miniature train. The park also included the Ramona Theatre which hosted vaudeville shows, musicals, silent film shorts, and favorite local and national entertainers. Ramona Gardens was initially a dance hall which, in the late 1930s, hosted the best of the big bands, and in 1942, became a roller skating rink. 
Related Object