Photographs ➔ Photograph, Herpolsheimer's on Monroe Avenue
This is a black and white photograph of Monroe Avenue. Herpolsheimer's is on the left, across the street from Metropolitan Five and Dime Store, West's Drug Store, and the Emporium.
8" h 10" w
Current Location Status:
Courtesy of the Camera Shop
Herpolsheimer's In 1865, William G. Herpolsheimer and Charles G. A. Voigt, two young businessmen, established the Voigt, Herpolsheimer & Company, a dry goods and carpet store in Michigan City, Indiana before relocating to Grand Rapids, Michigan in 1870. The partnership between Voigt and Herpolsheimer ended in 1902 with Voigt taking over the flour mills and Herpolsheimer the store. Herpolsheimer's Firm continued to operate department stores until it was sold in 1987 making it one of the longest running retail establishments in West Michigan.
Pantlind Hotel The Pantlind Hotel was an upscale hotel located in Grand Rapids. In 1981, it was refurbished and reopened as the Amway Grand Hotel.