Photographs ➔ Photograph, B&W, Voigt-Herpolsheimer Department Store
Rectangular black and white photograph of the exterior of the Voigt - Herpolsheimer Co. building mounted on a black cardboard mat. The image depicts the front of a multiple story building decorated with bunting on the first, second and third floors. There is a very large crowd of people standing on the sidewalk in front of the store. There is a horse-drawn carriage parked on the street and three two-wheel bicycles can be seen.
4" h 5" w
Current Location Status:
Gift Of Gerald And Bea Timmer
Timmer, GeraldHerpolsheimer'sIn 1865, William G. Herpolsheimer and Charles G. A. Voigt, two young businessmen, established the Voigt, Herpolsheimer & Company, a dry goods and carpet store in Michigan City, Indiana before relocating to Grand Rapids, Michigan in 1870. The partnership between Voigt and Herpolsheimer ended in 1902 with Voigt taking over the flour mills and Herpolsheimer the store. Herpolsheimer's Firm continued to operate department stores until it was sold in 1987 making it one of the longest-running retail establishments in West Michigan.