This collection consists of a wide variety of mid-19th century to early 20th-century paper materials of lieutenant Henry J. Northrup. and his family. It includes: orders, paperwork, and other documents pertaining to Henry Northrup's service as Lieutenant and Quartermaster in the 118th New York Volunteer Regiment during the American Civil War; government-related, insurance, his will and estate, Saginaw postmaster, and miscellaneous other business documents; and a range of personal correspondence to and from relatives, friends, and acquaintances. Also present are a number of newspaper clippings, some papers on the Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States, two wedding poems, an 1861 diary, and an unknown photograph. Northrup was born in New York in the first half of the 1800s. After his service during the Civil War, he moved to Saginaw, Michigan where he founded a grocery store, Northrup, Wells, and Co. in 1867. He later sold his share in the company and became Saginaw's postmaster until 1887. Northrup was very involved in his community and in public service.
A full listing of the contents of this collection can be found in the Finding Aid that is attached to the media section of this catalog entry.