A wooden child's pull toy of a horse on wheels. The horse is missing the pull-string that may have originally been attached to a hole in the animal's head. Another hole beneath the head and in the body may have also formerly been used as an attachment site. No paint trace is evident on the toy. A portion of white cotton string used to secure one of the rear wheels is a modern addition.
The toy also bears a round paper label with the name Ralph H. Blanchard/guarenteed antiquities/Cairo, Egypt in print. A price of 40 piastres is hand-written in ink on the label, and an identifier LO is also written there. Mr. Blanchard, who died in 1936, was an important atiquities dealer in Cairo.
TOYS! (2018 – 2020) This GRPM original exhibit featured toys and games from the museum’s collections in meticulously crafted displays representing childhood in different eras. This interactive, multi-generational exhibition of toys and games is sure to rekindle childhood memories and spark the creation of new ones.
Lowe, Edward Edward Lowe was one of 8 children of James and Eliza Lowe who were British immigrants in 1869 from Lancashire (Ashton under Lyne) at the behest of Eliza’s father R. E. Butterworth, who had arrived in 1841. James operated a cotton business in England and when he moved to Grand Rapids became the partner of Richard E. Butterworth (1806-1888) in Butterworth and Lowe, This was the first iron foundry and machine shop in Grand Rapids and was on the site of where the Civic Auditorium is today. James was a philanthropist active in providing the building for Division St. (First) Methodist and was instrumental in bringing Salvation Army to Grand Rapids in 1883. The family lived on Cherry Street.
In his early years, Edward a grandson of Butterworth, apprenticed at the family foundry, which built pumping machinery for first Grand Rapids Water Works. He married former Susan Blodgett (1865-1931) in 1888 and according to Kent County records, she had an alleged dowry of $1 million. Edward left the iron business in 1892 for lumber which was her father’s family business. Blodgett’s business had large holdings in Cadillac area as well as West and South.
The family lived in a Victorian brick home at 103 College SE (at Washington) followed by a 22-room Turdor mansion that was built in 1905 called "Holmdene" (now Aquinas College mansion, where he planted more than 1000 trees of various kinds); they also had homes in California and in Europe. Edward and Susan had 3 children: Edward Jr. (b. 1890), Barbara (b. 1893,Mrs. Charles Henry Fallas of NY), James Rowland Lowe (b. 1904)
Edward and Susan were generous philanthropists to St. Mark’s Episcopal, Salvation Army’s Evangeline Home, Blodgett Hospital; also the major donors for new Butterworth Hospital in 1911 (they gave the whole block of property and another $500K in 1921); Edward long-time president of Butterworth’s board. Other life achievements included founder of Kent Country Club, first golf course in west MI; Director of Old National Bank, later of Old Kent, and of Michigan Trust Co. He donated a large memorial "resurrection window" at First Methodist in memory of parents, who had been members there. Edward died with an estate of 6.5M, largest then recorded in Kent County.
James A. Straub James A. Straub was a Collections department volunteer and Collection Committee Member at the Grand Rapids Public Museum, offering his services as an art historian. Among his many life accomplishments were his family, and serving in the United States Marine Corps, including a 13-month tour of duty in Vietnam. His list of achievements include 27 years as Detective Lieutenant from the Kent County Sheriff's Department, Original Catalogue Director of the Mathias Alten Catalogue Raisonne, and providing significant contributions to the book, Mathias Alten: Journey of an American Painter.
Jim was honored to have been appointed by Gov. Milliken to the Board of Forensic Polygraph Examiners and by the GR mayor to the GR Historical Commission. Additionally, Jim served as President of the Command Officers Bargaining Unit at the Kent County Sheriff's Department and Vice President of the GR Historical Society. Along with his dedicated service to GRPM Jim was also a member of the Board of Kent County Employees Credit Union, the Kent County Pension Board, the Art Advisory Committee for Butterworth Hospital, the Acquisitions Committee at the Grand Rapids Art Museum and the GVSU Gordon Gallery Advisory Committee.