This is a black and white photograph of an electric streetcar on Michigan Street NE in Grand Rapids, Michigan. The eastward-facing photograph shows several cars and buildings, including Goudzwaard Bros. Hardware (235 Michigan Street NE), and a bakery, possibly owned by George H. Reinhart.
The streetcar, number 346, operated along the #7 Michigan line. It is a P.A.Y.E. (pay as you enter) car built by the Cincinnati Car Company in 1912. A sign advertising dancing at Ramona Park is attached to one end of the streetcar.
After the era of horsecars (1865 - 1892) and cable cars (1888 - 1891) had ended and before the era of motor buses (1932 - present) began, the city of Grand Rapids used electric streetcars (1891 - 1935) for its public transit system.
Grand Rapids Railway Company owned and operated Ramona Park on the Western Shore of Reeds Lake in East Grand Rapids for many years. The park was open from 1903-1954. See Ramona Park entity for more information.
Cincinnati Car Company The Cincinnati Car Company, later known as the Cincinnati Car Corporation, designed and built interurban railway cars, streetcars, and busses in Cincinnati, Ohio between 1902 and 1931.