This is a black and white photograph of an electric streetcar moving through a crowded intersection in Grand Rapids, Michigan. This car operates along the #5 Wealthy line. A advertisement posted on the front of the streetcar promotes a talkie movie calling “The Girl From Havana,” which was released in 1929; “KEITH’S-NOW” on the advertisement likely refers to Keith’s Empress Theatre on Lyon Street.
Signage on one of the buildings depicted may identify it as a branch of the Grand Rapids Savings Bank, the motto of which is partially visible: “[TH]E BANK [WHE]RE YOU FEEL AT HOME.”
After the era of horsecars (1865 - 1892) and cable cars (1888 - 1891) had ended and before the era of motor buses (1932 - present) began, the city of Grand Rapids used electric streetcars (1891 - 1935) for its public transit system.
Grand Rapids Railway Company owned and operated Ramona Park on the Western Shore of Reeds Lake in East Grand Rapids for many years. The park was open from 1903-1954. See Ramona Park entity for more information.