This is a black and white photograph of an electric streetcar named for the department store manager “William G. Herpolsheimer.” The American flags and garland, along with the “SPECIAL” sign on the front of the streetcar, indicate a special occasion, perhaps the inaugural trip for this named car.
This streetcar may have been built by St. Louis Car Company in 1926.
After the era of horsecars (1865 - 1892) and cable cars (1888 - 1891) had ended and before the era of motor buses (1932 - present) began, the city of Grand Rapids used electric streetcars (1891 - 1935) for its public transit system.
Grand Rapids Railway Company owned and operated Ramona Park on the Western Shore of Reeds Lake in East Grand Rapids for many years. The park was open from 1903-1954. See Ramona Park entity for more information.