This is a black and white photograph of an interurban electric streetcar belonging to the Grand Rapids, Grand Haven and Muskegon Railway. "18" "Mona Lake" painted on the front of the car. "1916-18" has been written on the upper right hand corner of the photograph.
In 1916, the Grand Rapids ticket office and waiting room for the "GRGH&MRy" was located at 164 Ottawa Avenue NW.
"The Grand Rapids, Grand Haven, and Muskegon Railway was organized 87 years ago in 1900 to construct an electric Interurban railroad between Grand Rapids and both Grand Haven and Muskegon. It cost a million and a half dollars to build. It was equipped with 15 passenger cars, and three express cars and once [sic] maintenance away car called the Red Devil back then."
--Excerpted from an oral history of Interurban Railways given by Carl Bajema to the Tri-Cities Historical Museum ( http://loutitlibrary.org/research-learn/local-history/oral-history )