This is a black and white photograph of a street scene on a brick road in Grand Rapids, Michigan. The photograph has been captured from an elevation, possibly from the third story of a building. The photo depidts an electric streetcar, several automobiles, and the front of several shops, including a shoe repair shop.
This streetcar, which runs along the #6 Cherry Street line that terminated at Ramona Park in East Grand Rapids, may be a “Birney Safety Car” purchased from J.G. Brill in 1920.
After the era of horsecars (1865 - 1892) and cable cars (1888 - 1891) had ended and before the era of motor buses (1932 - present) began, the city of Grand Rapids used electric streetcars (1891 - 1935) for its public transit system.
Grand Rapids Railway Company owned and operated Ramona Park on the Western Shore of Reeds Lake in East Grand Rapids for many years. The park was open from 1903-1954. See Ramona Park entity for more information.