Comments and Tags

Be the first to comment on this item!



Sound Communication ➔ Telephone

Identifier:
2019.33.1
Description:
Black rotary telephone labeled Stowger P.A.X. on the dial.  The phone was originally used at the Indian Club in Irons, Michigan.  PAX stand for "private automatic exchange", indicating that this telephone, was part of a small private network at the club where members in various cottages could call each other on a sort of "party line", but were not connected to the external telephone network. PAXs had several advantages in that they were cheaper and easier to maintain, required no operator, and couldn't make expensive long-distance calls.
Date:
circa 1940
Materials:
Plastic, Metal, Rubber
Source:
Gift of David Frey
Makers/Donors
David G. Frey

Automatic Electric Company
Related Objects