This camera was sold by Perkins & Richmond, a photography supply company that was located on 33 Monroe Street in 1898. The store was in operation from 1890 to at least 1899. Perkins & Richmond sold a variety of other products, ranging from bicycles to typewriters. The store changed locations several times, having been at 13 Fountain in 1892 and 101 Ottawa in 1893.;The lens has the following stamped on the side:
6 1/2 x 8 1/2
Perkins & Richmond
Grand Rapids, Mich.
There are no other markings on the camera itself to indicate a brand, model, or date of manufacture. The camera was previously owned by Ray and Betty Culley, who founded Cinecraft Productions Inc. in 1939, an industrial film company that is still in operation. The camera was donated with the most recent picture taken still inside: a group of several dozen men in front of trees. The identities of the men and the location have yet to be identified.
Alva B. Richmond Alva B. Richmond was a partner of Perkins & Richmond, a store in Grand Rapids in operation from approximately 1890 to 1898. Richmond and his partner Thomas B. Perkins sold a variety of items, ranging from bicycles to typewriters to photography equipment. The store changed locations several times during the 1890s, with the final known location being 33 Monroe in 1998. His obituary appears in the May 4th, 1918 edition of the Grand Rapids Press and reads:
Alva B. Richmond Dead In Chicago
Well known as a pioneer among sporting goods dealers here...partner in firm Perkins and Richmond.
Died Sunday in Chicago
Born in Grand Rapids in 1854
Moved to California about 10 years ago where he has since resided.
Funeral services held at the home of his sister, Miss Clara Richmond, of 342 Woodmere Avenue, S.E., Saturday at 2:20. Besides his sister he is survived by a widow of La Jolla, California; one son, Alva, Jr., and two daughters, Mrs. Frank Burdick of La Jolla and Mrs. Marshall of Warren, Ohio.
Thomas B. Perkins Thomas B. Perkins was the proprietor at Perkins & Co., a photography company, in the 1880s. By the 1890s, he partnered with Alva B. Richmond to form the Perkins & Richmond Co. This store sold things ranging from bicycles to typewriters to photography supplies. Perkins & Richmond moved locations several times during the 1890s and was open until at least 1898. Volume 5089 of the Congressional Series of United States Public Documents credits him as having improved the porcupine boiler in 1903.
Perkins & Richmond Co. Thomas B. Perkins and Alva B. Richmond were the proprietors of Perkins & Richmond, a store in Grand Rapids in operation from approximately 1890 to 1898. Perkins & Richmond sold a variety of items, ranging from bicycles to typewriters to photography equipment. During the 1890s, the store took out several advertisements in the Grand Rapids Herald for bicycle riding lessons for children and women. The store changed locations several times during the 1890s, having been at 13 Fountain Street in 1892, 101 Ottawa in 1893, and the final known location being 33 Monroe in 1998.