This black medicine case is made of leather and is lined with purple velvet. It contains various glass vials and medical papers from D. H. Strahan, M.D. According to museum records, it was used by D. Humboldt Strahan who practiced in Grand Rapids, Michigan. It was given to Ruth Herrick in 1955.
October 4 1955
Leather , Glass
6.5" h 11" w 2.25" d
Current Location Status:
Gift Of Dr. Ruth Herrick;Kent County Medical Society
Estate of Ruth Herrick Born on July 6, 1895 in Ohio, Ruth Herrick became known as one of the first women physicians in Michigan. She studied at the University of Chicago Medical College and at Blodgett Memorial Hospital. Afterwards she began her practice in 1931 in Grand Rapids. She was an avid collector and took a strong interest in archaeology, having lectured at the Greenfield Village Museum and wrote and published a book entitled "Greentown glass: the Indiana Tumbler and Goblet Company and allied manufacturers (1959)". In 1961 she cooperated with the Kent County Medical Society in compiling a historic medical collection. She retired in 1973 and later passed away after an automobile accident on June 7, 1974, with many of her assets bequeathed to the Public Museum.