Comments and Tags

Be the first to comment on this item!



Collection Tier:
Tier 3

Advertising ➔ Credit Card Case

Identifier:
2020.13.25
Description:
This credit card case is made of leather and has the name "Herpolsheimer's" embossed on one side and "Charga-Plate" on the other. It is accompanied by an envelope addressed to Mrs. Carl F. Arvilla and a return postcard addressed to Herpolsheimer's. 
Date:
circa 1970
Materials:
Leather, Paper
Dimensions:
1.5" h 2.5" w
Source:
Gift of Michael Hauser
Rights:

Makers/Donors
Michael Hauser

Herpolsheimer's
In 1865, William G. Herpolsheimer and Charles G. A. Voigt, two young businessmen, established the Voigt, Herpolsheimer & Company, a dry goods and carpet store in Michigan City, Indiana before relocating to Grand Rapids, Michigan in 1870. The partnership between Voigt and Herpolsheimer ended in 1902 with Voigt taking over the flour mills and Herpolsheimer the store. Herpolsheimer's Firm continued to operate department stores until it was sold in 1987 making it one of the longest-running retail establishments in West Michigan.
Related Place
Grand Rapids
Related Object