Grass basket with round foot. Natural color with violet stripes.;The foot is indicative of Western influence. This basket is a Western form, possibly made for export. Identified by Raymond Silverman, Professor of History, Department of the History of Art, University of Michigan--Ann Arbor; tel: 734.615.9847. From accession file 4747: "Note the base which rests on the head for carrying. The full sized basket is about three times as large as this one.";The objects were originally obtained by Dr. and Mrs. H. Veazie Markham, medical missionaries of that church. The couple were appointed for life service to West Central Portuguese Africa (modern Angola) by the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions, and they served there from 1927-1939. The objects were originally collected about 1930, and were exhibited at the East Congregational Church before being donated in 1948. However, dates of individual objects may vary widely.