Coil basket with designs in violet and burnt orange over natural background. Wide rim with small foot.;From accession file 4747: "This is made of grass in the same way that the native baskets for carrying corn, beans, and potatoes are made. The baskets which they use are often 1 1/2 or 2 ft. in diameter and of this same conical shape. The small pedestal on the bottom is fashioned in this way to aid the balancing of the basket as it is carried about on the woman's head.";The objects were originally obtained by Dr. and Mrs. H. Veazie Markham, medical missionaries of that church. The couple were appointed for life service to West Central Portuguese Africa (modern Angola) by the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions, and they served there from 1927-1939. The objects were originally collected about 1930, and were exhibited at the East Congregational Church before being donated in 1948. However, dates of individual objects may vary widely.