Grass messenger basket with a lid that slides over the top opening.;From accession file 4747: "The letters or messages are put inside of this to protect them from the elements and from the moisture of the messenger's body while they are being delivered.";The objects were originally obtained by Dr. and Mrs. H. Veazie Markham, medical missionaries of that church. The couple were appointed for life service to West Central Portuguese Africa (modern Angola) by the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions, and they served there from 1927-1939. The objects were originally collected about 1930, and were exhibited at the East Congregational Church before being donated in 1948. However, dates of individual objects may vary widely.;Originally one of three baskets numbered 117332, part of accession 4747. Subsequently renumbered 176246 by PMGR staff.