Four-legged wood stool, poorly carved from a single piece of light-colored wood. The stool has several wide, dark bands burnt onto the legs and base. The edge of the top is also burned a dark brown.;From accession file 4747: "Not a chief's stool. During councils, etc., only the chief and a few of his advisors are allowed to sit. The rest remain standing. This custom also applies to a native audience being addressed by a white man. The speaker sits while the audience stands. This stool was cut from the trunk of a tree, and the decorations were made by scorching the wood with hot irons.";The objects were originally obtained by Dr. and Mrs. H. Veazie Markham, medical missionaries of that church. The couple were appointed for life service to West Central Portuguese Africa (modern Angola) by the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions, and they served there from 1927-1939. The objects were originally collected about 1930, and were exhibited at the East Congregational Church before being donated in 1948. However, dates of individual objects may vary widely.