Cylindrical stoneware liquor bottle, with tall and narrow body, small handle at shoulder, short neck, and flanged spout. Decorated with simple warm beige glaze, with some wheel-marks visible and several words stamped into side.;'J.Friedrich/Grost.../B/Frankfurt" stamped into side of bottle, below a round emblem with indecipherable type. 'No.76' inscribed under handle. |
Herpolsheimer's In 1865, William G. Herpolsheimer and Charles G. A. Voigt, two young businessmen, established the Voigt, Herpolsheimer & Company, a dry goods and carpet store in Michigan City, Indiana before relocating to Grand Rapids, Michigan in 1870. The partnership between Voigt and Herpolsheimer ended in 1902 with Voigt taking over the flour mills and Herpolsheimer the store. Herpolsheimer's Firm continued to operate department stores until it was sold in 1987 making it one of the longest-running retail establishments in West Michigan.