1868 – 1882
Current Location Status:
Gift Of Steenman, Blanche Fox
Investigate: Historic Grand River Artifacts
(September 2018)During the Investigate program, students will take the role of Museum curators and use close observation and critical thinking to discover the origin, meaning, and importance of real objects from the Museum’s Collection. Students will learn how to handle and study primary sources and will be pushed to consider how singular objects or groups of objects can tell meaningful stories about our place.
- Learners will be able to analyze primary sources (artifacts and photographs) and make inferences about the story or significance of the sources.
- Learners will be able to describe how the Grand River impacted the lives of people who lived in Grand Rapids between 1850 and 1910.
- NGSS Science and Engineering Practices: Constructing Explanations; Engaging in Argument from Evidence
- ELA Common Core Standards by Domain: Research to Build and Present Knowledge; Presentation of Knowledge and Ideas
- Michigan K-12 Social Studies Standards: H1 The World in Temporal Terms: Historical Habits of Mind, H3 The HIstory of Michigan and the Great Lakes Region, G5 Environment and Society, P1 Reading and Communication, P2 Inquiry Research and Analysis
AllenBlanche Fox Steenman