Knox Hat Company The Knox Hat Company was founded in 1838 by Charles Knox in New York. It was later taken over by his son, Edward Knox. Knox Hatters started in a modest shop on 110 Fulton Street and eventually grew to the corporate headquarters and shop being located on Fifth Avenue. By the middle of the century, Knox hats were being sold all over America. They were manufactured in Knox's Brooklyn hat factory - the largest hat factory in the world. 23 US Presidents wore Knox hats including Abraham Lincoln's famous 'Stovepipe' hat.
The Knox brand lasted until the great depression when in 1932 the three largest Hatters; Cavanagh, Dunlap, and Knox merged to become the Hat Corporation of America (known as Hat-Co).