J.L. Hudson Company The J.L. Hudson Company, also known as Hudson's was a department store located in Detroit, Michigan. It was founded by Joseph L. Hudson in 1881 and was run by him until his death in 1912. It was then taken over by his nephews and run under them until 1961 when it was taken over by Joseph L. Hudson Jr who then became the president of the company. The flagship stored closed in 1983 and in 1984 the company merged into The Department Store Division of Dayton Hudson Corporation.
Hudson's had a shop on Woodward that was referred to as The Woodward Shops.