This black dress is made of chiffon and is decorated with black sequins that were sewn on individually by hand. There is a pink band at the waist that is decorated with pink and coral colored beads. The skirt has three tiers and a diagonal hem. This dress has a black and white chiffon slip. According to previous museum staff, this dress was made by Drecoll of Paris in 1926. Features that are indicative of the 1920s are the sequin and bead decoration, the short hem, the dropped waist, and the tubular silhouette.
The 1920s, also known as the Roaring Twenties, was the era of the flapper. Flappers referred to young women who wore heavily beaded dresses made of fragile materials. These dresses often had short hems and dropped waists which created a tubular silhouette that was an iconic feature of the era. The flapper style was a stark contrast from the long, frilly hourglass-shaped dresses worn by previous generations. This dress is an excellent example of the type of evening wear worn by young women during this period.
Chiffon, Sequins, Crepe
Current Location Status:
Gift Of Esther Booth
Esther Irene Booth Esther Irene Booth of Grand Rapids was a member of the founding family of Booth Newspapers. She was a niece of the late George Booth, founder of the newspaper group. Her father, the late Edmund Booth, was editor of the Grand Rapids Press and an officer of Booth Newspapers. For seven years during the Depression, Miss Booth was acting director of the Grand Rapids Art Gallery [now the Grand Rapids Art Museum]. She worked in the Red Cross in France during World War One. In World War II, she was chairman of the Red Cross citywide sewing center project in Grand Rapids. She also worked in the Veterans Hospital in Kalamazoo. Miss Booth was an honorary life trustee of Kent County Club.
Source: Obituary for Esther Booth, The Grand Rapids Press, July 12, 1984, page 6.
Drecoll Drecoll was a couture house that was started by Baron Christopher Drecoll. In 1895 he sold the house and it was later opened in Paris in 1904. In 1928 it merged with Beer and in 1931 it was renamed Agnes-Drecoll. It is unknown when Agnes-Drecoll closed but some sources claim the doors shut in the early 1960s.