Ceramic bowl with blue and brown transfer leaf design.;Identified by Laurie Barnes, Associate Curator, The Detroit Institute of Arts, MI; tel: 313.833.1718.
1960 – 1970
Transfer Detail, Ceramic, Ceramic
Current Location Status:
Gift Of Dr. Ruth Herrick
Estate of Ruth HerrickBorn on July 6, 1895 in Ohio, Ruth Herrick became known as one of the first women physicians in Michigan. She studied at the University of Chicago Medical College and at Blodgett Memorial Hospital. Afterwards she began her practice in 1931 in Grand Rapids. She was an avid collector and took a strong interest in archaeology, having lectured at the Greenfield Village Museum and wrote and published a book entitled "Greentown glass: the Indiana Tumbler and Goblet Company and allied manufacturers (1959)". In 1961 she cooperated with the Kent County Medical Society in compiling a historic medical collection. She retired in 1973 and later passed away after an automobile accident on June 7, 1974, with many of her assets bequeathed to the Public Museum.